|Kiosk at the Buddington Road trailhead with CFPA map.|
CCC program. It is in this context that Shelton's "blue-dot" Paugussett Trail was created in the 1930s. For several decades, the trail stretched from Lake Zoar in Monroe tO Roosevelt Forest in Stratford. The trail was abandoned south of Indian Well State Park in the 1960s due to suburban development acXross the trail route.
|1946 CFPA regional trail map (marked up to show changes)|
Once the new trail finally reached Buddington Road, CFPA representatives drove down to Shelton once again and hiked the trail. Several great suggestions were made, leading to some major reroutes. For example, the blue trail originally crossed Shelton Avenue at the powerlines, but the crossing was shifted over towards the Dog Park so the trail could cross the bridge at Silent Waters, adding interest to the route. Many blazes needed to be added as well to ensure that regional hikers not familiar with the terrain would be able to follow the trail.
|CFPA Map at the Buddington Trailhead|
After the trail was deemed up to their high standards, CFPA took a vote and officially accepted the extension as part of the Paugussett Trail. Once the trail became official, CFPA mapped the trail with gps, updated their interactive map of Blue-Blazed Trails online, and began working on a beautiful map for the kiosk at the new trailhead on Buddington Road (photo above). The map includes a QR code that can be scanned with a smart phone in order to learn more about the trail or to download the map onto a phone.
Many thanks to CFPA for all their support!
|Paugussett Trail crossing on Shelton Avenue|